5 Tips on Caring for Your Diamond Engagement Ring!
Almost every day at Diamonds Direct, we are asked for tips on keeping jewelry looking as sparkly as possible. Here are five easy ways to keep your fine jewelry looking great for many years to come.
1) Give your jewelry a break! I know, I know. Your engagement ring is gorgeous. But it is hard work being on your finger all the time. We recommend taking your engagement ring off before you go to bed every night. Have a place in your home where you always leave it so there is never a “where did I take off my ring?!” panic moment. I leave mine in my jewelry cleaner every night so it is clean and perfect in the morning.
2) Lotion is not your diamond’s friend. The biggest enemy of a sparkly diamond is lotion. We live in a crazy climate and lotion is a necessity most days. When you moisturize take your ring off and let your skin dry before putting it back on. Think of it like this…if you cleaned your window and then pressed a freshly lotioned hand on it, it would leave a cloudy hand print. Same thing applies to your sparkly diamond.
3) Be aware of your movements. Women like to fidget. Believe me, I am the worst! Many of us are tappers. We tap our feet, we tap our pens, we tap our rings…! Every time your jolt your ring by tapping it on a hard surface, you are wearing away the gold or platinum. Over time, you could even loosen your diamond- especially if you have small diamonds set into your mounting! This also applies to wearing your jewelry during physical activities, such as yard work, weight lifting, tennis, etc.
4) Make your own jewelry cleaning solution. I am not a fan of buying the pre-packaged jewelry cleaning solution. It seems like a waste of money to me. When I clean my own jewelry at home, I mix equal parts ammonia and water. Then I leave my jewelry to soak in it over night. Right before I leave every morning, I take it out of the solution, give it a quick scrub from all angles with a soft bristle toothbrush, rinse it and pat it dry with a towel. Clean jewelry every day!
5) Leave it to the professionals at Diamonds Direct. We love seeing you so why not let us do the leg work? We do not charge anything to inspect and clean your jewelry. Plus, we love catching up on what our customers are up to. If your ring requires any extra TLC, we can let you know and get to work on it immediately. If everything looks good, you can rest easy knowing a professional has given it the thumbs up.